What it Takes to get a Tree Service License
No one can cut down any tree in Maryland. You must obtain a Tree Expert License.
Any professional company that works with trees and cuts down, trims, fertilizes, cables, braces and controls insects or diseases of trees require a license. This is to ensure the health and longevity of Maryland’s community of trees is protected, keeping our Maryland beautiful!
- Adequate and related college education plus one year experience under LTE
- OR have three years of experience under LTE (Licensed Tree Expert)
- Pass the exam
- Have adequate liability and property damage insurance
Once you obtain the license, it has to be renewed after two years in December.
There are some organizations that offer training or certifications
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)
This certification is available to candidates with:
- at least three years of full-time experience
- an associate’s degree in arboriculture and two years experience
- bachelor’s degree and one year experience
- must pass certification exam
ISA also offers specialized certifications including aerial lifts, utilities-related tree trimming and tree climbing
The American Society of Consulting Arborist (ASCA)
This certification goes beyond tree trimming. The ASCA administers the Registered Consulting Arborist credential to offer services that include:
- landcape planning
- tree preservation
- damage assessment and expert-witness testimony in civil or criminal lawsuits that involve trees.
Must be a member and attend the ASCA Consulting Academy training program. Qualified applicants will be sent a test in the form of a consulting scenario.
Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA)
TCIA offers a variety of training and educational materials to arborists companies who are members. After completing a few series of training, new employees will obtain all that is necessary to work safely.
TCIA also offers specialized training programs in:
- tree care safety
- electrical hazards
- aerial rescue
- ANSI 300 standards for tree care
A Company that offers tree service must be equipped to handle the job safely. If you need this service call us, we are definitely a Southern Maryland Licensed Tree Service close by.